Outstanding students are eligible for the following CLAS Scholarships. Applications are customarily due in early February and should be made via the Iowa Scholarship Portal for Undergraduate Students. Please contact the undergraduate advisor or the Office of Academic Programs and Student Development in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences for questions regarding the application process.
Mary Susan Morse Iosue Memorial Scholarship
The Mary Susan Morse Iosue Memorial Scholarship in French recognizes outstanding undergraduate or graduate students. This scholarship was established with a generous gift from Frank A. Iosue (M.F.A. 1978, English, graduate of the Writers' Workshop) in memory of his wife Mary Susan Morse Iosue (B.A. 1976, French).
The chair of the department along with other appropriate faculty members will use the following criteria to award the scholarship:
- a student at the end of his/her junior year or later for the following academic year
- a student majoring in French
- a student with a minimum grade point average of 3.0
- preference shall be given to a student who is emphasizing in literary studies
- a student who shows outstanding promise in French studies
- preference to a student who has completed a project in some area of his/her French studies
The scholarship will be given in two installments -- one in the fall semester and one in the spring semester.
Helen K. Fairall Scholarship
Junior, Senior or Graduate student majors in French (non-majors and minors are not eligible) are eligible to be nominated for the Fairall scholarships, offered through the department and the U of I Foundation.
- Born in Iowa and educated in Iowa for at least grades one through eight OR born in the United States and graduated from a high school in Iowa.
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 and full-time enrollment.
- Scholarships awarded to graduate students can be used for approved Study Abroad semester. However, undergraduates cannot receive this scholarship for Study Abroad.
Amounts and number of scholarship varies (typically $4,000). Applications are available at the end of the spring semester, with scholarships to be awarded during the following fall semester. For more information contact the main office in 111 Phillips Hall at 319-335-2253.
Richard J. Tyner Scholarship
The Richard J. Tyner Scholarship will provide competitive, merit-based scholarships for undergraduate students in the UI College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) who are pursuing a major in French, Italian, international relations, or political science. Applicants should plan to participate in an academic credit-bearing Study Abroad or Intern Abroad program of at least one semester in length.
The Richard J. Tyner scholarship of $1,000 will be awarded in the fall and the spring semesters; the number of awards will be determined by available funding.
Helen K. Fairall Scholarship
Juniors and seniors majoring in French, Italian, or Arabic, are eligible to apply for the Helen Fairall scholarships, offered through the department and the U of I Foundation. To apply, visit the Iowa Scholarship Portal.
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences supports numerous scholarships through the college's annual scholarship competition. For a list of scholarships available in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and information on applying for scholarships, visit the CLAS Scholarships page.
Explore the many funding opportunities open to UI students and alumni, available from the International Programs Student Grants and Fellowships page.